Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Easy mistake... big problem... Linux to the rescue

I'm not sure if this is a mistake I should admit to but...

For work I realized we were dangerously low on hard disk space. After thinking about it and discussing the problem with others I decided that a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system would be best for us. I went looking and found out that Buffalo do a device which is fitted with 1 TB of hard disk space which you can use RAID5 with, "Perfect" I thought. It will hold the data and just slot into out system without hassle and minimum extra work for me.

I went and got a quote for the device, got authorization from the powers that be at work and in two days had a new toy to play with.

While setting up the hardware I found that it didn't integrate with my works Active Directory (Windows user management for the sake of a simple description). I had ordered a Terabyte Network Attached Storage - 1.0 TB. What I needed was a TeraStation Pro Network Attached Storage - 1.0 TB. Bugger!

I'd opened the box and started playing with it before I realized that I had ordered the wrong thing. The supplier can't resel the item opened so I'm stuck with it! Fortunatly Linux has saved my life. Sadly if I had known that this was going to end as a Linux hacking exercise I would have just bought the components and done it entirely as a Linux hacking exercise... far more time consuming but more fun. Only other problem is that at this time of year I'm tired and grumpy and just want to sleep

Some hours fiddling, hacking and configuring later and:

the NAS is beautifully hosted by my linux box using the AD user and group names to control who can use what. Saved my skin!

I have documented this on my site under my Linux section with the title Samba file shares to ADS users.

Now I'm going to get back to my 1337 |-|4X0r silly celebration dance (I'm sure its a funny sight to behold) as I feel on top of the world, tart up my documentation and configure the shares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home