Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I ♥ Linux!

The OS (and its supporting applications) are evolving, improving and taking on a life of their own. As Neil Stephenson said in his essay "in the beginning was the command line" Linux is like a tank, describing this tank as "like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel than a subcompact car." Why is it that I'm having yet another "sliced bread has nothing on this" revelation? Due to the combination of these technologies/applications:
  • SSH
  • screen
  • bittorent
  • apt-get
How else would I be able to (from work) install an application on my home computer and tell it to download something for me over the internet (even if the net connection is too slow for GUI stuff) . It was done and downloading in under 3 mins! All 4 aps can be googled for. The bittorent guide I used was: BitTorrent for Linux I'm sorry but until Vista is posix compliant and has an effective SSH client and apt-get... oh and runs on the old P3 I have in the corner I'm not interested. Whenever I do something at the command line (therefor I can do it over SSH) I hear music from snap! "I've got the power!" Oh and for those who are wondering about the torrent it is a legitimate one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home